Discover more from The Briefly
The "Weirdest Club in NYC Isn't A Club" Edition
The 99 cent slice is not dead.
• The Episcopal Diocese of New York intends to apologize formally for its role in slavery on Saturday. To their credit, the apology will not end the conversation, which will include a reparations project and ongoing conversations. (Arun Venugopal for Gothamist)
• The NYC Audubon is changing their name to distance the group from John Jay Audubon's racist history of enslaving people and dismissal of abolition. The new name has not been announced yet. (Matt Troutman for Patch)
• A look at the flower stalls of Bushwick, a staple of the neighborhood. (Anna Bradley-Smith for Brownstoner)
• Did you poop in the aisle of the Schubert Theater near Hillary Clinton during Some Like It Hot? (Matt Troutman for Patch)
• It's a weird scene outside Manhattan Criminal Court, between people selling MAGA merch off the back of pickup trucks, the bored members of the media, insurrectionist types, weirdos (but in a bad way), and others awaiting the indictment of Trump. (Gwynne Hogan for Gothamist)
• 99 Cent Pizza on E 14th is back to selling pizza for 99 cents! Dollar fifty cents be damned. (EV Grieve)
• It's the last stand of the hot dog king, whose hot dog cart outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art is the city’s most famous hot dog cart. (Chris Crowly for Grub Street)
• The Flatiron Building sold for $190 million at auction, sold to Jacob Garlick of Abraham Trust. (Aaron Ginsburg for 6sqft)
• Good news if you love pickleball and hate rollerskating. The Wollman Rink in Central Park becomes pickleball courts from April to October. This is a far cry from last year's roller-disco extravaganza, The DiscOasis. (Ben Yakas for Gothamist)
• I can't unsee this mural of Sesame Streets Bert exposing a tit, while saying "Free the Nipple!,", so now you have to see it too. This Sunday is Free the Nipple Day 2023. (EV Grieve)
• The 10 friends you make in New York City. For reference, I'm the local bar friend. (Kristen Perrone for Time Out)
• Gristle Tattoo in Brooklyn has a cat flash tattoo event on Wednesday of next week to benefit Brooklyn Cat Cafe. $100 for a good cause, and you get a cat tattoo. (Rossilynne Skena Culgan for Time Out)
• Headline: Four Queens Prosecutors Who Discriminated Against Minority Jurors Are Still On the Job. (Haidee Chu for The City)
• Where to Go: Wild Rabbit Coffee in the East Village. What to Order: Hong Kong-style black sesame egg waffles with your coffee. (Anna Rahmanan for Time Out)
• Apartment Porn: A $26 million Upper West Side townhouse with a hand-crafted stairwell, elevator, 7,111 square feet, six beds, seven baths, front and back gardens, wood-burning fireplaces, terraces, and more. (Michelle Cohen for 6sqft)
• Where to eat outdoors in Brooklyn. (Eater)
Top Clicked Links from the Last Edition:
Featured Animals: Egyptian Cats!
What are the rules for featured animals/pets? None! That’s why this edition’s featured animals are from reader Jon from a trip to Egypt. The one in the middle is named Shakira and the one on the right is named Lady Gaga. Send your animal/pet pics to email@example.com.