The "No More Buckets of Dead Rats" Edition
Cuomo the sex criminal, the final mayoral debate, live like you're in Succession, 13 stellar tasting menus under $100, the Harry Potter store, and more.
Today - Low: 54˚ High: 56˚
Rain in the evening and overnight.
This weekend - Low: 51˚ High: 63˚
• Watch: The second Adams/Sliwa mayoral debate. (WABC)
• A guide to Adams vs Sliwa. (NY Times)
• Takeaways from the second Adams/Sliwa debate. (Elizabeth Kim for Gothamist)
• How many stamps do your absentee ballots need and other questions. Answering your questions about voting. (Rachel Holliday Smith for The City)
• Meow Parlor is back on the Lower East Side thanks to a win in the Petco Love Stories contest, which will help the cat cafe expand to the second floor of 46 Hester. (Elie Z. Perler for Bowery Boogie)
• Real Estate Lust: If you're up to date on Succession, you'll be able to identify this $23.3 million apartment for sale in the Woolworth Building where Kendall has been hiding for at least two episodes. The apartment is 6,711 square feet with five beds, has 2,770 square feet of terrace, and more. (Lisa Johnson Mandell for Realtor)
• "Do a kickflip!" Tony Hawk was spotted skateboarding at the Coleman Skatepark under the Manhattan Bridge earlier in the week. Yes, the article contains a video of a sweet trick. (Elie Z. Perler for Bowery Boogie)
• Congrats to Caravan of Dreams, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this month. Vegan before vegan was cool. (EV Grieve)
• 30 years is a long time. How about a century? Two centuries? The 16 oldest restaurants in NYC. (Cybele Mayes-Osterman for Untapped New York)
• Interview: John Homenuk, co-owner of @nymetrowx, New York Metro Weather. (Ben Yakas for Gothamist)
• The apps you need to make your life easier. To add to this list, I'd recommend Exit Strategy, which tells you what subway car and door exits to subway stations are so you waste no time once you get to your stop. (Austin Havens-Bowen for Brick Underground)
• OMNY is fine, but it still doesn't have a monthly pass option. The MTA is reviewing options. Just like how I am "reviewing" gyms to join. One day, maybe. (Stephen Nessen for Gothamist)
• Former Resigned in Disgrace Governor Andrew Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor sex crime over an allegation he forcibly touched a then-aide last December at the Governor’s Mansion in Albany. I guess "sex criminal" is one more title he can put on his resume. (Josefa Velasquez for The City)
• Can someone stop Eric Adams from talking about his disgusting "bucket of dead rats" idea, please? It's been two years since his "rat summit." One large trash bag is enough to feed 60,000 rats. How many buckets will we need for that? (Willy Blackmore for Curbed)
• The idea for a new fracked-gas-fueled power plant in Astoria is dead. The Hochul administration put a stop to it this week, citing that it would not meet the Climate Act's mandate for electricity generation to be emission-free by 2040. (Samantha Maldonado for The City)
• 13 stellar tasting menus under $100 in NYC. (Erica Adams for Eater)
• Renderings: A whole new downtown Brooklyn for pedestrians and cyclists that prioritizes people over cars. (Shaye Weaver for Time Out)
• Fifteen-minute grocery delivery is here. Hooray? Wait, why do we need this? (Kyle Beechey for Eater)
• New York City's wild animals are thriving. It's easy to make the assumption that this is somehow pandemic related but the real reason is the multi-decade effort to clean up the city's parks and waterways and to add more green everywhere possible. (Lisa M. Collins for NY Times)
• Say hello to the newest tallest building in Brooklyn at 1,000 feet tall, twice the height of the Williamsburgh Bank Building and 280 feet taller than Brooklyn Point. (Anna Rahmanan for Time Out)
• Video: Full walkthrough of the new Harry Potter store with a butterbeer review. (ActionKid)
• The long nightmare is over. Queens finally has its own Krispy Kreme. (Shaye Weaver for Time Out)
• Greenpoint's best pumpkin picks. (Jennifer Rosini-Gentile for Greenpointers)
• A list of the best roast chicken in New York. (Noëmie Carrant for RESY)
Featured Pet: Beatrix!
Look at that smile! Thank you to Sean for sending in this photo of Beatrix!! Send your animal photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been floored by the recent generosity of readers of The Briefly. Thank you to the three people who contributed to The Briefly using the “Buy me a coffee” button.