Discover more from The Briefly
The "A New Worst Subway Line is Crowned" Edition
The best bagels, Slaughterhouse St, the smallest comedy room in the city, the Thomas Jefferson statue in City Hall will be removed, and more
Today - Low: 56˚ High: 65˚
Clear throughout the day.
• "Eric Adams Once Led Sexist Smear Campaign Against a Whistleblower Cop" is the headline that tells the story. (Greg B. Smith and Yoav Gonen for The City)
• Members of the NYPD have been making threats in retaliation against someone who reported their illegal parking to 311 multiple times in Downtown Brooklyn. (Julianna Cuba for Streetsblog)
• The best bagels in NYC. (Hannah Albertine, Nikko Duren, and Carlo Mantuano for The Infatuation)
• The Thomas Jefferson statue in City hell will be removed. The Public Design Commission voted unanimously to remove the statue after the Black, Latino, and Asian Caucus' request. (Jeffery C. Mays and Zachary Small for NY Times)
• Your guide to the 2021 NYC elections. (Jen Carlson for Gothamist)
• The arguments against apple picking. (Rachel Sugar for Grub Street)
• The city's fight against rats is accidentally killing hawks, owls, ducks, and squirrels. (Katie Honan for The City)
• Podcast: The chaotic rise and fall of Tekashi 6ix9ine with Shawn Setaro, an editor at Complex. (Brooklyn Magazine: The Podcast)
• Mulberry St used to be known as slaughterhouse street and other secrets of Little Italy. (Irene Madrigal for Untapped New York)
• The story of Rat Rock, the house-sized boulder sitting between two houses on the Upper West Side. (Ephemeral New York)
• Filming locations for Succession on HBO. (Michelle Young for Untapped New York)
• The C train is the worst performing subway line in the entire MTA, with 20.7% of trains never actually showing up. (Kevin Duggan for amNewYork Metro)
• It started as a storage room, now The Mushroom is the smallest comedy room in NYC. (Shaye Weaver for Time Out)
• A shortlist of de Blasio policies that Eric Adams would likely change as mayor. (Elizabeth Kim for Gothamist)
• Photos: The eighth annual Hot Sauce Expo, including The Death Wing Challenge. (Scott Lynch for Brooklyn Magazine)
• Interview: Kenzo, the creator of the SUMMIT observation deck at One Vanderbilt, on growing up in New York City, skyscrapers, Midtown, and more. (Alyson Krueger for NY Times)
• Mercedes Golip, a Venezuelan arepa's expert, on her favorite Hispanic and Latinx spots in NYC. (Ugonna-Ora Owoh for The Infatuation)
Featured Animal: Pigeon!
Thanks to reader Bruce for this amazing photo of a pigeon. Bruce has a great photo newsletter that you should check out.
Thank you to the two readers that contributed to The Briefly since the last edition was sent.