Discover more from The Briefly
The "$100k is $36k" Edition
Your branding agencies were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. No one hearts We ♥ NYC.
Do you want to write an edition of The Briefly? I’m looking for people interested in having their voices and stories heard in April. I want to find some people interested in taking over for a day. You don’t have to write them in the same way that I do. You can write an essay, a diary, photos, a list of your favorite bartenders, poetry, or any way you’d like to express yourself. Reply to this email if you’re interested. You don’t need a solid idea, just an interest.
• If the purpose of the new "We ♥ NYC" campaign was to unite New yorkers, congratulations, we all think it's shit. (Katie Way for Hell Gate)
• One aspect of We ♥ NYC is "We ♥ A Dollar Slice (Now $1.50)," which is something that we don't heart, we don't heart at all. The 2 Bros. on St. Mark's is not $1.50 a slice. (EV Grieve)
• Headline: In New York City, a $100,000 Salary Feels Like $36,000. (Jo Constantz for Bloomberg)
• The Taxi and Limousine Commission is pushing taxi drivers to go electric, but drivers can't find the charging stations to make it worth it. The city aims to move the entire fleet to electric by 2030, but without a major investment in a charging network, the addiction to combustible engines isn't budging. (Jose Martinez for The City)
• The MTA is focused on fully moving to electric buses by 2040, with one of the biggest hurdles being charging. (Stephen Nessen for Gothamist)
• The MTA's Brooklyn bus network redesign is facing major opposition from Community Boards, as CBs aren't willing to sacrifice 2,300 bus stops for the sake of speed when the Bronx redesign only sped up buses by 2%. (Allan Rosen for Bklyner)
• While city agencies are being told to cut their budgets, the NYPD was 93% over budget for the last fiscal year, sitting at $2.2 billion. They've already hit their budgeted allotment for the year, which ends on June 30. (Matt Katz for Gothamist)
• Speed cameras issued 40% fewer tickets in February compared to August of last year. Speeding is one of the most hyperlocal problems in the city, so unless your local problem area is directly affected by one of these cameras, it's hard to feel the difference. (Julianne Cuba for Streetsblog)
• The New York Civil Liberties Union is suing the NYPD and its police commissioner to get its hands on public records that would shed light on Mayor Eric Adams’ directive to involuntarily transport people suspected of having mental illness to hospitals for psychiatric evaluations. (Chau Lam for Gothamist)
• Freshman Assemblyman Juan Ardila, who represents western Queens, is accused of sexual assault by two women—allegations the lawmaker did not refute. (Christian Murray for Queens Post)
• After whitewashing the pre-existing art in the 191st St pedestrian tunnel in January, the city is looking for artists proposing designs “that reflect the rich cultural identity of Washington Heights." (Michelle Bocanegra for Gothamist)
• A new Infinity Mirror Room by Yayoi Kusama is coming to David Zwirner's West 19th and West 20th Street galleries this summer. (Shaye Weaver for Time Out)
• What if we kissed near the mysterious green goo in the subway on St Patrick's Day? (Gwynne Hogan for Gothamist)
• Where to Go: Thick Ice Cream on Graham Ave. What to Order: Stuffed banana muffin with caramel ice cream. (Scott Lynch for Brooklyn Magazine)
• How to rename a street. Let's turn East New York Ave in Brooklyn into "The Briefly Way" because that's where The Briefly started. (Emily Swanson for The City)
• Apartment Porn: A $1.95 million Billionaire's Row studio once owned by Leonard Bernstein and Jessica Chastain (separately) adorned with a fireplace, Tiffany glass, onyx, a mezzanine library, and more. (Michelle Cohen for 6sqft)
• A look at Monster Track, an unsanctioned “alley cat” bike race through Manhattan. (Christian Santana for Gothamist)
• Where to dine outdoors in Queens. (Caroline Shin for Eater)
Top Clicked Links in the Last Edition:
Featured City Pet: Bonsai!
Thanks to friend Denis for sending in this adorable pic of Bonsai, a chihuahua, shih tzu, rat terrier, pomeranian, (other) mix! Send your pet pics to firstname.lastname@example.org.